Is it Better to Buy a New or Used Car in Alexandria?
If you are interested in upgrading your ride, you may be curious, “Is it better to buy a new or used car?” While one isn’t inherently better than the other, one option is probably a better fit for you, and the ownership experience you are looking for. Here we compare new vs. used cars to help Arlington drivers explore which makes more sense for them. Keep reading to find out how their advantages and disadvantages compare!
The Differences Between New vs. Used Cars
Advantages of Buying New
- Most Up to Date Technology: When you buy or lease a new car you will have access to the most up to date and innovative technology from Volkswagen. Automotive technology is constantly changing and a vehicle that’s just a few years old may be considered technologically outdated.
- Higher Fuel-Efficiency: The vehicles in today’s automotive market are designed by most automakers to achieve the highest fuel-efficiency ratings possible. Today’s vehicles feature less V6 and V8 engines, which are being replaced with turbocharged motors specifically designed for improved fuel economy (even with SUVs and trucks).
- Better Warranty Coverage: You can also enjoy the protection provided by bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties on new vehicles. These will cover most of the car’s components for a certain amount of years and miles.
New Car Disadvantages
- Most Expensive Option: The problem with purchasing new vehicles for most Springfield drivers is the cost. New cars are naturally more expensive than used and certified pre-owned vehicles, and you will be taxed on the cost you pay. Also, once the vehicle’s warranty coverage expires, you’ll likely find that your car’s state-of-the-art technology is expensive to repair and maintain.
Used Car Advantages
- Extremely Cost-Effective Options: Purchasing a used car in Washington DC is a great way to save money; not only are you saving money at the time of purchase, but also when you buy auto insurance, and pay taxes.
- Slower Depreciation: We all know the classic adage: a new car loses a large percentage of its value as soon as you drive off the lot. However, when you purchase a new car, a lot of the value is lost in the first few years of its lifespan. Used cars have already taken this initial depreciation hit, and lose value much slower after that and as they continue to age.
- Less Chance for Negative Equity: Negative equity is owing more on your car loan than what the vehicle is worth. If the car is lost or irreparably damaged, you could get stuck paying on the auto loan even if you can’t drive the car. Financing a used car means you’re probably going to have a smaller car loan, and you are less likely to end up “upside down” on the loan.
Used Car Disadvantages
- Higher-Priced Financing: The problem with buying used is that the lenders may place a higher interest rate on used-car loans, and thus you end up with higher monthly payments. However, the price of the vehicle will be lower, so the loan term will also be shorter.
Compare New vs. Used Vehicles at Alexandria Volkswagen Today!
Is it better to buy new or used cars? Now that you have some information, you can hopefully decide whether a new or used car is better for you. Alexandria Volkswagen is your source for a vehicle that meets your needs. We are happy to help you browse our Volkswagen inventory and our extensive used car selection. Be sure to check out our new car specials and pre-owned offers for savings you don’t want to miss, and contact us online to schedule a test drive in Alexandria.
More from Alexandria Volkswagen
The 2023 Volkswagen Taos exemplifies what a small SUV can do. Sure, it’s compact, but it’s incredibly stylish, pretty darn sporty, and surprisingly fuel-efficient for Arlington pump avoiders! You can get an incredible 28 mpg city/36 mpg highway* according to EPA estimates as your Volkswagen Taos MPG, and that’s not even counting what else…
The Volkswagen Jetta is a vehicle that’s built for the modern driver in Arlington. It’s a sedan with much more than just a nice looking vehicle. The Volkswagen Jetta MPG of 29 mpg city/42 mpg highway gives you the freedom to hit the road without having to worry about the gas station. The Volkswagen…
Want to get your hands on a reliable family vehicle that’s ready to roll in Arlington? Check out the 2023 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport! This is not only a stylish and functional SUV, and complementary to the VW Atlas, it’s got a VW Atlas Cross Sport MPG of up to 21/24/22 city/hwy/combined according to…