What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Shopping for and actually finding a high quality used car for a good price can seem like a feat, but once you know the right questions it’s actually quite simple. It doesn’t matter if you are a first-time buyer or it’s been awhile, the team at Alexandria Volkswagen put together this guide to help drivers understand some of the best questions to ask and what to look for when buying a used car. Explore what the car buying process looks like and the right questions, and when you are ready come visit us in Alexandria to take one of the used cars in our inventory out for a test drive.
First, The Process of Finding A Vehicle
Buying a used car has a lot of benefits for Arlington and Washington DC drivers, the vehicles typically have lower prices at the time of purchase and while maintaining the vehicle, and they also have more accessible technology. When you are searching for the right used car for your Springfield drives, there are plenty of options: those priced under 20k, certified pre-owned models, and more are available at Alexandria Volkswagen. Here’s how you can buy a used car for a dealer:
- Setting your budget means you take the time to consider the cost of purchasing, but also the cost of owning your vehicle (maintenance, repairs, tires, registration). We recommend keeping your monthly payment below 10% of your monthly income. You can get an idea of monthly payments with our payment calculator.
- Choosing the right used car means finding one that fits your budget, mileage goals, and other personal requirements like having a clean vehicle history report.You’ll want to start by compiling a list of cars you are interested in, then compare those to what’s offered at the dealership.When you find vehicles you’re interested in, deep dive into the reliability reviews from sites like Edmunds or KelleyBlueBook, and check out how much similar vehicles are being sold for in the area.
- Test Drive and Inspect the Models: Finding the right used car that matches your style can seem difficult, when you do be sure to thoroughly inspect the vehicle and have it inspected by a trusted mechanic. You should also take it out for a test drive to verify the performance it will provide for your Annandale-drives.
- Financing and fees associated with used cars may include loans, so take the time to check out all of your options, and consider other fees and credits like state sales tax, registration fees, and the trade-in value of your previous vehicle. When completing the deal you’ll also want to make sure you’re covered with any applicable warranties and car insurance plans.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
There can be quite a bit of variety in condition and quality when shopping for used vehicles. After taking inventory of what exactly you are looking for, it’s important to know what questions to ask so you can be sure you’re not signing up for costly repairs in the future. Check out some tips for what to ask about when buying a used car:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Would you drive this vehicle cross country today, and if not, why?
Explore More Car Buying Tips with Alexandria Volkswagen!
We want to make the car buying process as simple as possible for you and your family. Drivers can take full advantage of our used car selection from some of the top brands on the market. Learn more about the car buying process by speaking to our finance department today, and let us help you find the best model for your daily drives.
More from Alexandria Volkswagen
We can’t wait to show you the beautiful Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport interior. Not only does this SUV look great on the inside, but the interior Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport dimensions reveal a generous amount of passenger cargo space. We go into the details below, including the Atlas Cross Sport seating options that are…
Alexandria drivers like you want options in a new vehicle. It’s a good thing, then, that there are five exceptional Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport configurations. Each of this SUV’s trim levels has its own set of highlights, features, and options, including perforated Vienna leather seating surfaces and a hands-free easy-open power liftgate. We list…
Do you want to upgrade your ride to a spacious SUV? Are you in the market for a sleek family vehicle? Whatever your reason, we have the vehicle that’s perfect for you! The 2024 Volkswagen Atlas has something for everyone, especially inside. It’s packed with advanced technology and convenience features to enhance your Arlington driving…