Volkswagen Dash Light Meanings
When you’re driving in Arlington, the last thing you want is for your car’s dash light to go on. What are the Volkswagen light meanings? When your VW dashboard lights come on, is that the sign of a serious problem? Alexandria Volkswagen has the answer to all of these questions and more with our guide to the warning lights on your Volkswagen and the other dashboard symbols meanings. And if it’s time to schedule service, you can count on us to get your car fixed right.
Green Volkswagen Dash Light Meanings
Warning lights on your VW car come in several different colors, namely green, yellow, and red. First off, we’re going to start with the green lights.
- Icon: “DRL” letters
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: If you’ve got the DRL on when you’re driving your Volkswagen in Washington DC, that means your daytime running lights are on.
- Icon: Shoe inside a circle
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: This dashboard symbol meaning lets you know that you should put your foot on the brake to put your car into gear.
Yellow Volkswagen Dash Light Meanings
If you’ve got a yellow light on your VW, the Volkswagen lights meanings change from something you should know to something that might mean maintenance for your car.
Anti-lock Braking System
- Icon: “ABS” letters
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: If you’ve got “ABS” lighting up on your dashboard, it means you might have a problem with your anti-lock brakes. You should get your car serviced to see what the problem is.
- Icon: Passenger with seat belt on with circle nearby
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You’ve got a malfunction with your airbags or your airbags have been deactivated.
Automatic Transmission Malfunction
- Icon: Gear with an exclamation point in the center
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You’ve got a problem with your car’s automatic transmission and it’s time to get service.
Brake Pad Wear Indicators
- Icon: Circle with dotted lines on either side
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You need a professional to replace your Volkswagen car’s brake pads.
Engine Malfunction (On-Board Diagnostics)
- Icon Description: Engine
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You’ve got issues with your emissions and it’s time for service.
Hybrid Drive System Malfunction
- Icon Description: Yellow car with an exclamation point in the center
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You’ve got problems with your hybrid system, and it’s time to get it looked at.
Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Icon Description: Tire pressure monitoring sensor with an exclamation point in the center
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: If the light comes on and stays on, you’ve got low tire pressure. If it flashes, you’ve got a failing tire pressure system. We will help you fix a tire pressure system or get new tires if the need arises.
Red Dashboard Lights
And now, the red warning lights on your Volkswagen car:
Alternator Low Voltage Output
- Icon Description: Battery with a plus and minus sign
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: You’ve got a low voltage output on the alternator and charging has failed.
- Icon Description: Car with its hood open
- Meaning: You should stop the car and close the hood.
- Icon Description: Circle with lines on either side and an exclamation point in the center
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: Either your parking brake is applied, the ABS is malfunctioning (with the ABS light), or you have low brake fluid.
DSG® Transmission Too Hot
- Icon Description: Gear with a thermometer in the center
- Volkswagen Dash Light Meaning: Stop the car and give the transmission time to cool off with the gearshift in park.
Alexandria Volkswagen Will Get Your Car Fixed
Car maintenance doesn’t have to be a hassle. Alexandria Volkswagen can get your car fixed without any trouble. We have VW experts on hand six days a week to help get your car or SUV maintained quickly and conveniently. If you’re ready to start a conversation, just contact us on our online form.